7 Benefits Ways To Prepare Your Organization For IIoT Integration
Created on December 14, 2018
The term “Industrial Internet of Things” has become increasingly more omnipresent today in the context of the global industry than it was ever before. This is not just because digital transformation has become the topmost priority for all modern-day businesses, irrespective of their line of business or size of operations. So, what is the Industrial Internet of Things?
What Is IIoT?
Also known as the Industrial Internet, the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) brings together advanced analytics, brilliant machines, and people at work. In countless ways, the Industrial Internet of Things promises to revolutionize the very concept of manufacturing by facilitating the smart and quick acquisition and accessibility of far larger amounts of data, at far astonishing speeds.
In other words, the Industrial Internet of Things is the network of a wide range of industrial devices and resources that are connected by smart, innovative communications’ technologies. This results in the creation and maintenance of systems that have the unique abilities of monitoring, exchanging, collecting, analyzing, and delivering new and invaluable insights like never before. These insights can be used for driving faster and smarter business decisions for manufacturing and industrial organizations.
How IIoT Is Transforming Industry?
The Industrial Internet of Things is revolutionizing the way organizations operate from day-to-day. Whether it is about accelerating new product development or detecting the instances of corrosion inside refinery pipes, IIoT and the solutions powered by it are transforming and driving powerful business outcomes.
IIoT drives unprecedented levels of performance, reliability, productivity, and efficiency by aligning industrial big data analytics with machine-to-machine communication. As a result, small as well as big organizations in sectors such as chemicals, equipment manufacturing, automotive, food and beverage, steel, and many other industries are experiencing transformative financial and operational benefits.
Innovative Systems To Integrate IIoT
Business systems, processes, and digital devices can efficiently support the implementation of the Industrial Internet of Things. There are endless ways such as laying down foundations for guiding future technology investments to ease the integration of the existing systems with new controls and data processing and automation benefits to get the desired results.
It is recommended to evaluate the following 7 benefit areas while having a close look at new systems for the implementation of IIoT:
- Enhancing capabilities: Use Big Data, Automation, and Machine Learning technologies for creating a powerful system that can precisely, consistently, and accurately capture, analyze, and transmit data for operations management with visualized dashboards.
- Estimate the baseline: Have a close look at data collection, assets, real-time visibility, and analytics to evaluate the capability of detecting and predicting opportunities and issues. For instance, selecting the appropriate types of cameras, sensors, and other instrumentation to make use of available options for data tracking.
- Data consolidation: Finding new and innovative ways to centralize data in the Cloud with new and emerging applications that can easily connect a wide range of disparate systems. This can be performed by the application of high-level analytics leveraging proficiency with the advantages of being physically remote from the operating site.
- Integrating the Potential: Employing open communications and integration technologies can help in connecting data from a wide range of sources on the way with a purpose to extract qualitative value for making informed decisions. This may include but not limited to software that has the potential of infusing high-fidelity data from operational sources that are essentially different in kind to people in every corner of the enterprise of a client.
- Redefining teamwork: Find unique ways on how to define possible ways by which functional groups can work efficiently using innovative automation tools and controls. This process also involves finding innovating tools and methods for enabling smart collaboration using the advantages of IIoT across the organization. It may possibly include data sharing in maintenance, operations, supply chain management, system reliability, and other potential synergies.
- Making it visual: Examine the employment of cloud-based applications that add value like condition-based monitoring (CBM), advanced process control (APC) monitoring, mobility solutions, enterprise data historians, and planning & scheduling tools. This innovative approach to instrumentation can facilitate data tracking for precise adjustments in the long term along with real-time decision making.
- Entering into alliances with the market experts: It does make sense to stay flexible with demographic changes and new updates by making the use of tools and collaborations with eminent third-party experts. These experts must have their strong presence felt across a wide range of segments. Ideally, they should have unmatched expertise in segments like process data, industrial automation, and control-related concerns across the enterprise. This is simply because providers of traditional information technology (IT) may not have the required expertise and that depth.
Undoubtedly, the Industrial Internet of Things can allow organizations of all sizes to get the optimum value from their systems without being limited by economic and technological limitations. Moreover, IIoT solutions greatly improve efficiency, scalability, connectivity, cost savings, and time savings for industrial organizations.
The sky is the limit when it comes to the potential of the Industrial Internet of Things. The unimaginable volume of valuable and critical insights to be acted upon and realized is simply limitless, with more and more data getting created from increasingly and smartly connected machines, devices, and systems. Are you ready to accelerate your IIoT journey?